Brazil officially started accepting ATA Carnets on June 28, 2016!
Accepts ATA Carnets for Commercial Samples, Professional Equipment, and Exhibitions and Fairs
ATA Carnet Guarantee Association
National Confederation of Industry (CNI)
SBN Quadra 1, Bloco 2,
Ed Roberto Simonsen, 12º Andar
Tel: (55.61) 3317.9459
ATA Carnet Specifics
Brazilian Customs suspended all operations on Carnet clearance during 2/4 to 9/30 and granted automatic extension. This group of Holders should arrange re-exportation of their goods beginning 9/30 and the deadline is until 10/30/2020.
- If their Carnets have expired, Holders will need to obtain replacements for re-exportation.
- If the Carnet was given a final date of reexportation during 2/4/2020 to 9/30/2020, and that at the time of reexportation (9/30/2020 to 10/30/2020), the Carnet is still valid, replacement Carnet is not necessary.
ATA Carnet Specifics
Brazil has officially announced the acceptance of ATA Carnets. This will officially allow all contracting parties to the ATA and/or the Istanbul Convention to enjoy ATA Carnet facilitation in Brazil. This change is also accompanied by an acceptance of hand-carried goods into the country.
We recommend that when entering Brazil with hand-carried shipments that you have a copy of amendment 1763 to Brazilian Customs Law 1639 with you.
In addition, USCIB requires a higher security amount of 60% of the value of the general list for all ATA Carnets going to Brazil. This amount will automatically calculate for you on the View Fee section (page 6) before you submit your application.
At this time, Brazil accepts ATA Carnets for professional equipment and exhibitions and fairs only.
All Customs offices in Brazil are entitled to handle ATA Carnets for the purposes of customs clearance during opening hours.
A list of customs offices and their hours of operation is available at: http://idg.receita.fazenda.gov.br/
Under the Conditions for Concession and Temporary Admission (Art. 16) of the Brazilian customs law (1639), the following must be available for customs clearance:
- Presentation of valid ATA carnet;
- Presentation of Power of attorney, if applicable;
- Presentation of passport or proof of identity:
- of the ATA Carnet holder or its nominated person in the authorized representatives, box b, on the Green Cover of the ATA Carnet; or
- of authorized person by its holder or by its representative via a power of attorney
We recommend that ATA Carnet holders or their authorized representatives should have available the Brazilian Customs Law 1639 with amendment 1763 (English version) that covers the ATA Carnet treatment in the event an officer is not fully versed in this procedure.
If you have any questions please contact your ATA Carnet Help Desk at 1.800.Carnets (1.800.227.6387).